All business owners and employers have the responsibility to improve the health and safety of their employees. Workplace health and safety depends upon the workplace-specific risks assessments. This process involves the following steps:
- Identification of the workplace-specific risks
- Assessing the identifications
This complete process to ensure health and safety requires a proper coordinated process with the serious involvement of management, employees, and safety experts. This team designs an action plan and mechanism to manage workplace safety of a businessperson, their staff, customers, and all the other stakeholders who use to visit the workplace for a business.
A major scoop of a workplace health and safety plan depends upon the expected hazards at a workplace and the size of a business. This workplace safety and health plan is a complete process of governing the basic preventions require to prevent various kinds of disease and work-related injuries in the workplace.
To ensure health and safety in the workplace, a business owner or management must have to take the following steps:
1. Safety and risk assessment:
By making a safety assessment, you can create an organizational plan to manage health and safety at the workplace. According to this assessment:
- It needs to talk to the Insurance Company to get recommendations for safety and health at the workplace. The specialists from insurance companies do health and safety assessment, visit the workplace and give recommendations for health and safety.
- Allow fire marshals to visit the workplace to inspect the premises with any potential fire hazards. Discuss with the insurance company to point out the potential fire hazards like too many plugs in a single outlet, no exit signs, and no fire extinguishers.
- Hire security consultant to get advice on electronic doors, security cameras, employee badges, and lit walkways. Security consultants offer screening procedures (Background tests and drug tests), installation of security equipment, and installations of monitoring services.
2. Establish an employee safety committee:
Next step is the creation of an employee safety committee that performs health and safety practices at the workplace. Allow them to inspect the workplace and arrange training sessions for them to make them able to practice safety and health. This committee also writes protocol to address dangerous scenarios like intruders, power outage, heart failure, and other instance of danger.
This committee looks for things like poor lighting and ventilation, loose electric cords, flooring surface without safety strips, no stair walls, no railings, and other potential issues.
3. Buy essential products:
Buy the items required to perform health and safety practices at the workplace. These essentials include first aid kits, fire extinguishers, emergency lights, flashlights, automated external defibrillators, buckets, and mops.
4. Make workplace manuals:
Prepare a proper workplace manual and share it with the insurance company agent. Also follow the pandemic protocols strictly like hand washing, social distancing, mask-wearing, etc.
5. Awareness for the employees:
Perform safety drills every year, educate employees, and arrange learning sessions to educate them about the precautionary measures.
Health and Safety Mentor:
For better guidance and proper consultation ‘’Health and Safety Mentor’’ is the name you can trust. They provide professional, tailored, and comprehensive services to their client businesses that include construction, engineering, hospitality, manufacturing, and retail.
Health and Safety Mentor is a well-reputed name to provide health and safety expertise in London, South of England, and Wales.