For the last 20 years, dental implants have become a desirable alternative to replacing missing teeth. This procedure involves replacing a tooth’s root with metal, screw-like posts and replacing the damaged teeth with artificial ones which function exactly like real ones.
When a single tooth is lost, the other teeth surrounding may begin to shift, resulting in a disorganized appearance. In the past, bridges were a preferred method of cosmetic restoration, but the dentist had to damage the surrounding teeth to support the prosthesis. Dental implant surgery is performed depending on the type of implant and the condition of your jawbone.
Implants get surgically placed where they serve as roots in place of your missing tooth. They are mostly made of titanium fused into your jawbone to ensure that they can’t slip, make noise, cause bone damage, or decay, unlike dentures and bridgework that would get affected.
You should consider dental implants if:
- You have one or more missing teeth.
- You have adequate bone to secure implants or can have a bone graft.
- Your jawbone must have reached total growth.
- You don’t have health conditions that may affect bone healing.
- You’re unable or unwilling to wear dental dentures.
- You’re willing to commit precious time (usually months) to the process.
- You want to improve your speech and your appearance.
Because dental implants require one or more surgeries, you must go through a thorough evaluation to prepare for the process, including:
- Comprehensive dental exam:This involves dental X-rays and 3D imaging to create models of your teeth and jaw.
- Review of your medical history:When you go for dental implants Georgetown-based or at your nearest dentist location, reveal to your doctor any present and previous medical condition, medications currently taking, or if you have underlying cardiac conditions or implants. The dentist will administer antibiotics to prevent possible infections in the area.
- Treatment plan:This plan considers factors such as how many teeth you need to replace and the condition of your dental formula.
Dental implants Cedar Park-based, and many other locations are usually outpatient surgeries performed in stage including:
- Removal of the damaged tooth.
- Jawbone preparation like grafting if the need arises.
- Dental implant placement.
- Bone growth and healing.
- Abutment placement.
- Artificial tooth placement.
The entire process may take months because much time is needed to heal and allow for the growth of a new bone in your jaw.
Benefits of dental implants
- Better aesthetics: Implants inserted in the gum mimic the way a normal tooth is supported, giving them a more authentic and natural appearance than other options.
- Retention:Dental implants offer a significant improvement to denture retention.
- Preserves natural tooth structure:Implants mostly are independent units and do not negatively affect the adjacent teeth.
Teeth are essential for communication and feeding, so replacing them is no longer an aesthetic choice but a necessity. Implants are becoming more common with people with dental problems because they provide a permanent solution that requires less upkeep. Take a chance!